Jobhunting and Life Admin
If you’re moving to London from overseas there are a few things to tick off your list as soon as you land. They are all straightforward to organise and won’t take too long either. Jonhunting can take time so get started as soon as you can.
- The big banks are: Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, NatWest and Santander.
- The easiest bank for new arrivals Lloyds because they just need to see your passport and not proof of address. However, they will need somewhere to send your new card to so keep that in mind.
- If you have an unlocked handset you can pick up a SIM from O2, Three, Vodafone, Giff Gaff and EE.
- Having a pay and go SIM is a good place to start before you get settled and decide if you want to be locked into a longer term plan.
National insurance number:
- This is a straightforward process that starts with completing the necessary paperwork. You can absolutely start working before you have this number.
- DO NOT pay an agency to do this for you, same goes for Bank Account set up.
- If you don’t have a job lined up for you when you arrive it’s best to make enquiries with recruiters so you can meet them as soon as possible.
- Recruiters are very common in the UK and most companies will use one. Almost every industry has a set of recruiters who look after those roles and a quick Google search will show you who they are.
- Monster and Indeed are meta search boards and a good place to start to get an understanding of salaries and what’s out there.